CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, June 2, 2007

Rust


I remember 4 years ago when the new Hummers (H2) came out. They were freakin' awesome! I had always thought how cool it would be to have a Hummer . . . you know the REALLY big ones that the Army used? So when GM came out with an urban vehicle, the H2, priced at about half the original price it was tempting to figure out how I could get my hands on one. I of course wasn't taking into account the nearly $50k price tag and 12 miles a gallon performance!!! I think gas was a bargain basement price of about $1.70 at that time. Whew! Remember those days?!

Any way . . . Here it is 2007 and a gallon of gas is nearly as expensive as a Chipotle burrito. The war in Iraq is still going on and owners of H2's have somehow been blamed for stranding polar bears on melting glaciers in the Arctic. I'm not exactly sure how that happened. I'd like to say that I'm making my contribution to the global condition (can't bring myself to say 'warming') by driving a Vespa scooter that gets 60 MPG. The reality is that I am just cheap and wanted a fuel sipping machine so I didn't get bent over at the pump.

A few days ago I'm driving down the road and am sitting right behind an H2 at a stoplight. As I'm marveling at all it's masculine glory, I notice a 2-inch rust circle on the metal bumper. Here this guy spent a crap-load of money to purchase his H2 and spends over $100 to fill it up every week. All this investment and pride still didn't stop rust from eating away at it.

This rust spot was a gut check for me. The scripture in Mathew 6:19 came to my mind, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal." I really had to evaluate what things I want in life and why I want them. Man-toys and gadgets are always going to be fun to have, but they shouldn't be our first pursuit in life.

I have to ask myself what types of treasures do I have in heaven? Have I invested in people? Have I spread God's love to all those I meet, or only those that I like? Ouch . . . that even hurt to type! Have I given of myself to spread Jesus' message? Could I sell everything and follow Jesus completely? Whew, another tough one to write!

A guy I listen to quite regularly is Jim Rohn. He is very good at asking questions that drive home a point. Recently I heard him ask, "If you can change, should you change?" That's a simple yet extremely powerful question. (Maybe a question for another blog)

So if I can invest in people more, should I? If I can spread God's love to everyone, should I? If I can be selfless with things that are less important than serving God, should I be? Tough questions, tougher challenges . . . but treasures in heaven sounds like a much better reward than a rusted out H2!

0 comments: